If We Can Save It, We Will!
Cold Milling, Grinding, and Pulverization
Cold Milling is the automatically controlled removal of pavement to a desired depth with specially designed equipment, and restoration of the surface to a specified grade or slope, free of humps, ruts and other imperfections. The resulting textured pavement can be used immediately as a driving surface, or it can be overlaid with a minimum of material.
Grinding is another term for cold milling. Generally the term is used with rebating. Rebating is grinding along edges where concrete curb or sidewalk meets an asphalt edge. Grinding or rebating is done to ensure there is no lip between surfaces which can be a trip hazard or unsightly.
Pulverization is a process of grinding (or milling) the existing asphalt surface and mixing it with the underlying stone base. This process serves to strengthen the existing base and form a better foundation to build on.
Cold milled materials can be recycled into the sub-base, used in the new asphalt pavement or stockpiled for use at a later time. We can often find a way to make your parking lot better and saving you money at the same time by turning the old surface into a material that can be used to build the new surface. When it comes to recycling our philosophy is that if we can save it we will.
Cold milling can be focused on the pavement problem correcting only what is necessary saving time and money to the owner. It is done quickly with minimum interruption to the traffic flow. Cold milling is especially cost effective for large surfaces such as streets, highways, runways, community developments and large parking lots.
The Benefits of Asphalt Milling Include:
- Restores pavement to a uniform cross-section and longitudinal profile
- Restores drainage flow
- Restores curb-reveal for roadways and parking areas that have had numerous overlays
- Ruts and washboarding: Cold Milling will remove the ruts and smooth the wash boarding.
- Deteriorating Lane: Cold milling on distressed lane will prepare it for pavement inlay while the remaining lanes need no treatment.
- Poor bonding potential: Cold milling will provide a texture for improved bond to the new pavement.
- Poor pavement profile: Cold milling will restore the desired profile and cross section.
- Diminished capacity of curb and gutter: Cold milling a tapered inlay to the curb will allow for a uniform pavement match to curb and gutter.
- Public convenience:
- Safety and cleanliness: The process generates no smoke or flame and the small amount of dust is easily controlled.
- Energy saving: Cold milling material removed can be used again in other road resurfacing and rehabilitation.
- Economics: This material, long thought of as a nuisance to be disposed of, is an asset with substantial dollar value. It can be used untreated as an aggregate. Reclaimed from the cold milling process has significant inherent value. Used by itself or as an ingredient in other process, it can substantially increase the scope of road rehabilitation programs.
- Reduced cost compared to other procedures
Contact Us for more info on asphalt grinding, milling, and pulverization. Pave South & Raleigh Paving provides asphalt grinding, milling, and pulverization services. We serve the Triangle, Triad and Charlotte metro areas of North Carolina including Raleigh, Greensboro and Winston Salem.Find Your Paving Solution